Song Review:
Only Hope
By Jon Foreman, Switchfoot
There's a song that's inside of my soul
It's the one that I've tried to write over and over again
I'm awake in the infinite cold
But You sing to me over and over and over again
So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
And pray to be only Yours
I pray to be only Yours
I know now You're my only hope
Sing to me of the song of the stars
Of Your galaxy dancing and laughing and laughing again
When it feels like my dreams are so far
Sing to me of the plans that You have for me over again
So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
And pray to be only Yours
I pray to be only Yours
I know now You're my only hope
I give You my apathy
I'm giving You all of me
I want Your symphony
Singing in all that I am
At the top of my lungs I'm giving it back
So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
And pray to be only Yours
I pray to be only Yours
I know now You're my only hope
Written by Jonathan Foreman
© 1999 Meadowgreen Music / Sugar Pete Songs / ASCAP
The story behind this song:
From the writer, Jon Foreman:
"For our band (Switchfoot), this year was one of growth and growing pains. Much of who we are was pulled and stretched and left undone. For me, I felt insufficient, that I didn't have what it takes. I wrote song after song, but so much of what I longed to say was stuck somewhere inside of me. Even my best was not good enough. At one of my lowest moments, this song was given to me, I say given, because I think God sang this song to me at the end of the day. When my human efforts fell short and I lay exhausted at His feet, this was, and is, His lullaby to me. The song really says so much about what I was. I remember playing it over and over again, crying softly before my God. But I believe that 'Only Hope' is much bigger than just my experience, this is a song for everyone. There is a breaking down, there is a surrendering; there is only one hope."
I sort of identify with this song because there was really times when I am really tired trying to someone else's best beside myself. I felt that I have to 'fit into others expectations, dreams, wishes' to live up to what they expect me to be. I really feel that nothing, trust me when I say nothing is the best except being just a creation and child of the Almighty Creator of all things. You don't have to be pretty, tall, smart, to come to Him. All you have to do is just to be yourself, just like the line from the song 'I pray to be only yours'. Nothing is as good as being His.
There are times when I felt hopeless because nothing seems to be right in my life, like my studies, ministries. Things just sort of fell and you just hope that things will get better.It did, when I started trusting God to help me in my studies and giving my troubles to Him. I could not have done anything without Him. Yes, He is my Hope.
Next, I hope you will take some time to ponder about this 'God' I am talking about. He don't promise a smooth sailing life, riches, wealth and good stuff. But He promise He will be there with you till the very end of age. So why not give Him your sorrows, apathy, destiny? He will give you the Hope that you need and the joy that you never had before.
I am going to leave the option to you. If you want to talk about this issue of Faith (God), you can always drop me an email (grace_sng88@hotmail.com). Looking forward to your reply.